Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Doctor's visit

Well, I just went to a doctor's visit that will change my life...well, it will change my way of eating at least. I found out yesterday that I have Celiac's Disease which means I can no longer eat Gluten. What is gluten you ask? Well, gluten is found in wheat which means I can't eat anything that was made from wheat flour. No more breads, pastas, pizzas, cookies, cakes, crackers, pancakes, biscuits, cereals, bagels ... oh and the list goes on. But instead of concentrating on what I can't eat, let's look at what I still CAN eat. All meats, all veggies, all fruits, rice, potatoes, etc. etc. etc. Everyone I've talked to who has this disease says that I should start feeling well in no time, once I get all of the gluten out of my system. I also have to eliminate dairy from my diet as well, but let's be honest, who really needs biscuits and a tall glass of milk anyway. The great news about this is I will be eating less carbs so I will most likely lose a lot of weight. Sweet.

More news: I also found out I currently have 4 viruses in my body. One is the mono virus, one is walking pnemonia, the other two I really have never heard of CMV and the parvo-virus. So I'll be doing treatment for these viruses twice a week. I'll go get "anti-virus" IVs two times a week until I'm well...which could take up to three months. But I am willing to do whatever it takes until I'm better.

This was a lot of information to hear yesterday but I had my mom with me so that made things a lot better. She has been right beside through all of this. I could not have done this without her and my dad. They are incredible!

Well, I'll keep you posted as I enter my gluten-free life.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Oh my word! I know that was shocking news. But I'm so glad they found out what's wrong with you. I immediately googled celiac disease and parvo virus and CMV. I was worried about you! I think the gluten free diet would probably be good for lots of us to adhere to! Hang in there. I'm praying for you and I love you!