Tuesday, August 26, 2008


So as a person who pretty much has her camera at all times, there are numerous times in the past week that I have said, "Dang it! Why don't I have my camera.?!!!" The past few weeks of my life have been, as the title suggests, absolute chaos.

So, go grab a cup of coffee this is a long one....but a good one.

I think it all starts with a minor incident, Buie's car has a flat tire. You're thinking no big deal, right? He's a man so he can change it. Well, a few months earlier Buie was in a wreck with damaged his bumper causing his spare tire to become...well, unavailable. Seeing that his bumper was now pretty much UNDER his car, there was no way to get to the spare tire. The day this happened I was in Louisiana with my family, and Buie, of all days, forgets his cell phone! He had just left Wal-mart after purchasing about $250 worth of groceries on the hottest day of the year so far. There he was stranded on Hwy 10 with nothing but some change (thank God) to make a call from a pay phone. Of course, I don't answer because it's a call from a payphone. I don't ever answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, right. I mean, come on, people! We live in 2008. It could be a crazy person on the other end of that line...but in this case it was just my husband...(which on that day might have well been a crazy person.) Poor guy. Well, my brother, Craig, who now lives in Maumelle was able to help him out. Thank God for family, right?

One week later....

On a bright and beautiful Saturday morning, Buie and I were piddling around the house getting it ready for company. His parents were coming to see our condo for the first time so of course we wanted it to look nice. I walked outside to my car around 10:30 am to load up my recycling like I do every Saturday morning. (Yes, I am green.) This is when the weirdest feeling came over me. Buie's car was gone. Totally and completely gone. Like, not where we parked it the night before, gone. I thought I was just overlooking it in the parking lot. I scanned the parking lot once, twice and even a third time before I had come to the striking conclusion that his car was, in fact, gone.

Once I had said a few choice words, broken the news to Buie, and HE said a few choice words...I was finally able to laugh about this situation. I mean, come on! Who gets their car stolen from the parking lot of their very own condo! Apparently we do.

Three days later...

I had made a life altering decision to run the half marathon. I have always wanted to run a marathon but I, seeing how out of shape I am, decided that I needed to only run the half, which will be a challenge in itself. Tuesday, the 12th of August, I went for a run...a short run. No big deal, right? Well, after taking a hot shower, I realized that I was in extreme pain. I went from being a big sore to not being able to walk at all in a few short minutes. What in the world! Seriously, I couldn't even lift my head up to adjust my pillow. I had no idea what I had done to myself. But whatever it was, I thought a few pain pills could fix it. I was wrong. Diagnosis: a pinched nerved. And just so you know, those things HURT!

The next day...

August 13th. I will never forget this day. If you're from Little Rock, then you know exactly what happened on this Wednesday afternoon. Long story short a gunman entered our building at work just after shooting the Chairman of the Democratic Party 6 blocks away from my work. We didn't know of the shooting at the time, but we did know he had a gun! What in the world! Let me get this straight: There is a guy in my building with a freakin' gun! Yup. that is an accurate statement although hard to believe.

Thank the good Lord above we all left that day in tact. I might need a few hours with a shrink but at least I'm alive, right?

(To read the article, go here.)

One day later...

I left early from work on the 13th. I was drugged up from pain pills and I was in complete and utter shock. After all, there was a man with a gun in my building. I keep having to say that statement out loud to realize how lucky we all are. So Thursday, the next day, I started therapy at the chiropracter. Now, normally I would not have gone to a chiro doctor because well, I've heard they are quacks. But you're not really thinking about what's quacky when you're in extreme pain. Thankfully, my chiro was able to accurately diagnosed the problem as a pinched nerve. I've had a week and a half of therapy and I'm almost back to normal. Well, as normal as I can be, I guess.

One week later...

This one is my favorite. Let's just say it involves a disturbed voodoo queen and a mean right hook.

Read HER version here... I'll write about my version on another day. This blog is already long enough to wrap around my head twice and that's pretty long.

Until next time...I'm crossing my fingers that nothing else will happen. But in case something does, I'm bringing my camera everywhere with me!

No comments: