Thursday, January 15, 2009

Change is comin'

It's been a while since I've last posted on this blog. But to catch up on The Buie's First Christmas just head on over to our blog. After much debate on whether I should keep this blog, I decided to be selfish and keep this blog just for me...after all, that's why it's called "simply cb" because it's all about ME and the things I like.

More than anything I hate being normal and predictable so I purposefully didn't do a "Resolutions" blog because I felt like everyone else was. (I know that's really silly). But lately I've been thinking a lot about changes. I work in downtown Little Rock and our office buildings are in the process of moving. It's not really a HUGE change but a change to say the least. We have a brand new building. I'll have a brand new desk and that is just exciting.

Other changes I'd like to see happen in my life include organization. I have learned to make small goals in order to make progress. If I said I wanted my whole house cleaned right now, then I would just be dissapointed. But if I make a small goal by saying this weekend I will clean out my closet then that is a goal I am most likely going to achieve.

Other changes coming in 2009:
My husband and I have decided to adopt a child through Compassion International. If you haven't heard about this program, you need to! I am passionate about adoption first and formost but if you cannot or are not ready to officially adopt a child of your own then try FINANCIALLY adopting one as well as PRAYERFULLY adopting one. Through Compassion Int. you actually get to go online and chose your own child by browsing through hundreds if not thousands of pictures. It breaks my heart to see so many children with little or nothing. By giving only $32 a month, we can help provide a child with an education, food and clothing that they might not otherwise receive in the country where they live. I am excited about this wonderful opportunity! Also, I have heard amazing stories of when the sponser actually was able to travel across the world to meet the child they had been sponsering for so many years! How cool is that?!

Change is coming...
We all know that January 20th is a big day for our nation. Please be in prayer for our next president-Obama-as he takes on a whole lot of changes in his life.

So I give in...Here's my list that I swore I wouldn't make:

1) Send more birthday cards!- Everyone loves to receive a personal birthday card, especially with a hand written note inside. E-cards are great and fast for those last minutes birthdays that sneak up on you, but I encourage you to plan ahead and buy cards ahead of time. Don't just buy them, but actually SEND them. The Container Store has a great container to keep all of your birthday cards and special occasion cards close at hand. Take this greeting card organizer with you to work, that way you will always have cards close by when you look on the calendar and see that Aunt Mary's birthday is coming up! Imagine how excited she'll be when she gets a card from her favortie niece! :)

2) Get buff. Before Christmas, my husband and I went to an athletic store to buy me some "girly weights" as I call them. I purchased two 2 pound weights and two 5 pound. (Don't make fun.) At this point I have used them twice, but the year has just begun. I plan to become VERY familiar with the 2's and the 5's and maybe, just maybe move on up to the 8's. Watch out now! As someone who lives with Fibromyalgia, I know how important taking care of my body is. Not only do I need to walk more regularly, but I need to add more resistance to my workout...hence the "get buff" resolution.

3) Finish a book. That's right, I said finish a book. Just one. UNO. I have a real problem. I'm not exactly sure when it started but let's just say for the last few years I have had problems in finishing a book. I'll start one, read it for a few days and then NOT read it for a few days...but then when I pick it back up I have forgotton where I was in the story so I lose interest. If I had enough... concentration I would just sit and read the book the whole way through but I just can't sit for that long. I keep thinking of all the other things I'd rather be doing. So this year, I want to finish a book. Maybe this will teach me perseverance or something like that...

4) Paint. This one really is as simple as it sounds. I have this overwhelming desire to paint anything and everything I see but I lack the time and the space to do it. The medium you ask? Well, I prefer oil but yes it is a bit messy and smelly...but acrylic would be my second choice...and much easier to clean up. I only wish I had a studio... but until then I will paint something, anything. My current project I am dreaming up in my head is painting the guest bathroom...more to come on that later... So this resolution is to simply paint... whenever, wherever, and however. So watch out! I may start painting your back door purple or something!


So as I start this new year, I keep in mind these four things. Oh, I'm sure there are many more but if I added more than four I wouldn't be able to remember them all so as simple they are, those are my "New Year's Resolutions."

No comments: